Sunday, May 26, 2013

Roasted Lamb

As I have mentioned before I barely know how to properly cook meat.
But luckily for me I have a great mother-in-law who not only gave me this recipe (I modified it a little bit), but also provided the meat itself and spices for it. The lamb turned out great!


Roasted Lamb:
-1 (5-pound) boneless leg of lamb, trimmed ( I cut all visible fat)
-15 large garlic cloves,chopped to large pieces
-stalk of fresh rosemary/thyme 
-2 tsp za'atar seasoning
-2 tsp cumin seasoning 
-2 tbsp of olive oil (you can omit it if you want)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. 
Make a lot of little holes with knife all over the lamb leg, put piece of chopped garlic in EACH those holes.
Season the meat with zaatar and cumin. Place lamb on a rack in a roasting pan. 
I poured about 2-3 cups of water on the bottom of the roasting pan. My mother in law uses a glass pan, then she pours a little bit of water in it, cover with a foil and roasts the seasoned lamb. I didn't have a proper pan for this, so I used a roasting pan instead, and didn't cover the meat. I also put a bunch of rosemary and thyme on the bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle the meat with the olive oil. And roast about 1 1/2 hours (about 20 minutes per each pound of meat).
Few times during the roasting I poured the water on the top of the meat, to make sure it won't burn or become too dry. Maybe there was no need for this procedure, however I thought it might be helpful.
Once the lamb is done, let it rest for about 15 minutes. 
I served it with couscous.

No comments:

Post a Comment