Monday, June 17, 2013

Mascarpone & Ricotta Cake

On Mother's day I decided to bring something sweet, while visiting my parents in law.
This cake recipe was chosen at the last minute (strike one!). If you decide to make it, make sure you have at least half the day, or ideally a day in advance, for the cake to become its best shape and taste.

Here is the source I originally saw the recipe Click here Seems pretty easy, right?
However with my intention to make simple things super complicated, I wasn't even sure If I should bring it to the guests at the end.
My strike two was that being in rush or distracted I didn't pay enough attention to the ingredient list. I'm not sure if that would make any difference, but I add a regular heavy cream (light version) instead of heavy whipping cream, which I suppose was meant to be in this recipe. Anyway, I added the regular cream (which wasn't whipped at all, it looked like a milk).

Also, knowing the cake may melt, I added a gelatin to keep it in a shape. As has happened a few times, I brought a cake which looked like a melted ice cream with fruits (long story).

So, if you decide to make this cake after all,  here is the recipe. It's actually very easy to make and it has this silky creamy texture, which is really good!

Mascarpone & Ricotta Cake
-4 cups of ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
-2,5 cups mascarpone
-4 tbsp raw honey
-1 package gelatin/ or stripe
-1 cup crushed toasted nuts
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-1,5-2 cups dried fruits (I had prunes, apricots and nectarines)
-dark/shredded chocolate for decoration
-1 tbs orange extract (you can omit it if you don't have it)
-6 tbsp of heavy whipped cream (as I mentioned before I used a regular heavy cream, which wasn't whipped)
-sugar added shredded coconut for decoration
-cheesecloth

First of all take a damp cheesecloth and put in on the cake pan so you can cover the whole cake once its ready.

Mix mascarpone and ricotta cheese with blender, add honey. Make sure the cheese has a smooth texture, we do not need any lumps.
In a meantime, in the separate bowl prepare the gelatin according to the instructions on the package. Set aside.

And here it is: Whip the cream! If you are lucky enough and your cream is whipped (to tell you the truth I'm not even sure if it should be whipped..) add vanilla, orange extract, nuts and dried fruits to it.

Mix cheese with the rest of ingredients. Gently put it in a cake pan. Decorate with chocolate and shredded coconut. Cover with cheesecloth.Let it refrigerate at least 5 hours or more.

The moral of the story: learn how to whip the cream, pay more attention to the ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. You know that we r meeting on Tue? I want this cake..gosh it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete